Fire at J&R Used Tire Service Inc. to burn for days
According to Hoopeston Fire Chief Cliff Crabtree, a fire that started at J&R Used Tire Service Inc. early Wednesday morning was begun by engine sparks that ignited rubber dust.
The fire, which began at 5:20 a.m. is predicted to burn for a few days, as Crabtree stated around noon on Wednesday that he “expect[s] to be [there] another 24 to 36 hours.”
Fire departments from all over Vermillion and Iroquois counties arrived at the scene of the fire to work on putting it out. The Danville Fire Department’s hazardous materials division also arrived on site to monitor the quality of the air. In an effort to provide emergency supplies and shelter to both residents affected by the fire and the emergency responders on the scene, the Red Cross has set up temporary shelters and air conditioned tents.
J&R Used Tire Service Inc. is owned by Rodney and Janie Rogers, who expressed concern for their employees and their families.