What Is A Free Consultation?
When a lawyer says they will provide a free consultation, it means that they will take time to sit down with you, listen to your story, and discuss your rights – all at no cost to you. The free initial consultation gives you the opportunity to talk about what happened and ask any questions you might have about your accident and the injury claims process. At the end of the consultation, you are free to choose whether or not you want to hire the attorney. Also, the lawyer could say that they cannot assist you with your particular problem, or might refer you to someone more suited to assist you with your particular case.
Considering bringing the following to your free consultation:
- Pen and paper. During your conversation with the lawyer, you will definitely want to take notes.
- List of questions. Clients typically have numerous questions before a meeting with a lawyer. It can be easy to forget some of those questions during the consultation. Make a list of all your questions ahead of time, to ensure all of your concerns are addressed.
- Documents related to your case. Make copies of all the documents and give them to the attorney during the consultation.
It’s important to ask your attorney what the strategy for your case will be and the outcome that they expect. You’ll want to get details on the types of legal procedures that will be involved and when they expect the case to be resolved.
Find out if your lawyer will attempt to settle your case, if mediation is an option, and if they plan to take your case to trial if necessary. Think about the answers they provide and decide if you are comfortable with them. It is critical that your attorney’s legal strategy aligns with your needs.
During your consultation, you should be able to find out:
- Whether you have a valid claim. The attorney will be able to take all relevant state laws and statutes of limitations into consideration in letting you know if you have a case.
- Whether you need the help of an attorney. A lawyer will inform you whether you need legal representation for your specific case or whether you could resolve it on your own.
- Whether this particular lawyer can help you. The best lawyer for your case is one who has extensive experience in achieving favorable outcomes in your specific type of case. If the lawyer does not handle your type case, they might refer you to a lawyer who does.
- What to do next. Upon completion of the consultation, you may be asked to sign an agreement for the attorney to take the case, decide that you do not want to hire the attorney, or the lawyer may decide that they cannot assist you with your case.
Contact an Illinois Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve been hurt due to someone else’s negligence, you are not alone. Legal help is available to you, so contact an experienced injury attorney at Spiros Law, P.C. to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case in private. We’ll be ready to sit down with you, listen to your story, and help you understand all the legal options available to you.