Elmiron Lawsuit Attorney
Did you take Elmiron to treat interstitial cystitis? Did you end up developing maculopathy or another vision problem? If so, Spiros Law, P.C. might be able to help you pursue financial compensation for your damages.
We believe in holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for their negligent actions. Janssen Pharmaceuticals failed to warn consumers about the risk of eye-related diseases and symptoms. You deserve to seek justice and recover a monetary award for the suffering you had to endure.
If you took Elmiron regularly and experienced unusual symptoms, such as vision loss or blindness, call Spiros Law, P.C. at (217) 328-2828. Our Elmiron lawsuit attorneys will schedule a free consultation and determine if you qualify for a lawsuit against the drug company.
The Link Between Elmiron and Maculopathy
Elmiron is a popular drug doctors prescribe to their patients to treat a bladder disorder known as interstitial cystitis. This medical condition causes pain of the pelvic region and bladder that can range from mild to severe. If the symptoms go untreated, it can become chronic and cause an urgent need to urinate.
Doctors and medical researchers are still unsure of the interaction between Elmiron and a patient’s body, but they believe that the drug attaches to the bladder wall. That creates a barrier to harmful substances that could cause irritation. As a result, there’s a decrease in the amount of bladder pain and pressure experienced.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the drug to treat interstitial cystitis; however, Janssen Pharmaceuticals didn’t include the risk of maculopathy on their warning labels. Their failure to warn is extremely negligent and leaves room for victims of the dangerous drug to file a lawsuit for compensation.
Maculopathy is a disease of the retina that could result in vision loss. The macula, located at the back of the retina, gives people the ability to see details in objects, read, focus central vision, and recognize colors and faces. There’s no cure, only multiple treatment options to manage symptoms and slow down the progression of the disease.
Common symptoms those with maculopathy might experience include:
- Central vision blurriness
- Difficulty reading
- Distorted appearance of objects
- Dark spots in central vision
- Trouble adapting to the dark or a dimly lit place
- Trouble recognizing faces
- Reduced brightness or intensity of colors
What Should I Do if Elmiron Caused Vision Loss?
If you took Elmiron over a period of time and suffer from vision loss, you should immediately speak to an Elmiron lawsuit attorney from Spiros Law, P.C.. The legal process is complex and confusing. If you try to handle it alone, you will likely lose the case and miss out on significant financial compensation. We know how to handle defective drug cases and recover the maximum monetary award available.
If you experienced any unusual vision-related side effects, talk to your doctor immediately, discuss switching medications, and call us. We’ll perform an investigation into your traumatic experience and find a way to prove Janssen’s negligence led to your diagnosis.
Negligence includes five main elements the evidence we collect will show existed under the circumstances of your case:
- Duty: If the defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care, it’s possible to pursue a negligence-based case. A duty is the defendant’s responsibility to act in a specific way towards the plaintiff, which prevents them from harm.
- Breach of duty: The defendant ends up breaching their duty of care if they don’t use reasonable care in fulfilling their duty to the plaintiff.
- Cause in fact: This determines if the plaintiff suffered an injury because of the direct actions of the defendant. If the defendant didn’t behave in a certain way, the plaintiff wouldn’t have sustained an injury.
- Proximate cause: This refers to the level of responsibility the defendant has for the plaintiff’s safety and physical well-being. The defendant should know that their actions could result in the plaintiff suffering an injury.
- Damages: The plaintiff incurred damages from the injury, such as medical bills.
Elmiron Defective Drug Lawsuit Damages
When you file a lawsuit against a negligent party, the goal is to win financial compensation. You can claim a variety of damages resulting from your maculopathy diagnosis and seek compensation for them. In a defective drug case, there are multiple compensatory damages available. Compensatory damages include the intangible losses and quantifiable expenses resulting from an accident or injury.
The compensatory damages you could pursue in an Elmiron lawsuit include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future lost wages
- Permanent disability
- Mental distress
- Emotional anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of quality of life
You could also pursue punitive damages from the drug company. Unlike compensatory damages, punitive damages don’t compensate an injured individual for their losses. Instead, it’s a punishment against the negligent party and aims to deter similar careless acts in the future.
Am I Eligible for a Lawsuit?
When you schedule a free consultation with Spiros Law, P.C., you should gather as much information as possible so we can determine if you qualify for a lawsuit against Janssen. You must be a consistent user of Elmiron and have at least one of the following eye conditions or symptoms:
- Maculopathy, pigmentary maculopathy, or degenerative maculopathy
- Blurry vision
- Decreased vision at night or in dim lighting
- Blindness in one or both eyes
- Vision impairment or loss
- Spots in central vision
- Difficulty reading or seeing things close up
- Distorted vision
- Trouble focusing eyes
- Halo vision
Speak to an Experienced Elmiron Lawsuit Attorney from Spiros Law, P.C.
At Spiros Law, P.C., we understand the challenges you’re facing after your maculopathy diagnosis. You weren’t aware of the dangers of taking Elmiron, and now you’re suffering because of someone else’s irresponsible actions. You deserve to hold Janssen Pharmaceuticals accountable and seek the maximum compensation available.
We’ll be happy to schedule a free consultation to discuss the details of your case. We’ll review everything and advise the options available. You experienced a great deal of physical, emotional, and financial harm. We’ll help you pursue justice and move forward with your life.
If you developed a vision-related disease or symptoms from taking Elmiron, call us at Spiros Law, P.C.. Our defective drug and devices attorneys will fight hard and ensure a positive outcome for your case.