Toxic Mold in the Home
Mold is a common problem in buildings that are not regularly inspected and cleaned. It can grow in any environment where there is enough moisture and moderate or warm temperatures. There are many different types of mold, which have varying effects on people’s health. Certain types, commonly known as toxic mold, produce toxins known as mycotoxins. Unfortunately, mycotoxins can create serious health problems for people who are exposed to them in large quantities.
When you purchase or rent a new home, the seller or landlord has an obligation to alert you to potential problems, including mold. If you or a member of your family has become ill due to a poorly maintained property, you may have grounds for a legal claim. To learn more, call the Champaign premises liability attorneys of Spiros Law, P.C. at (217) 328-2828.
Symptoms of Mycotoxin Exposure
Different people will have different reactions to mycotoxins, depending on the intensity and length of exposure, the specific type of mold involved, and individual health factors such as allergies. Potential symptoms of mycotoxin exposure include, but are not limited to:
Irritation of the eyes (pain, itching, and/or watering)
- A persistent cough
- Nausea and vomiting
- Chronic fatigue
- Skin rashes
- Neurological disorders (impaired memory, developmental delays in children, and more)
People with asthma or mold allergies are especially vulnerable to these symptoms; however, even people with no allergies or other health problems can have adverse effects to mycotoxins. If you suspect that there is toxic mold in your home, it is important to contact a professional who can test your home for toxins and, if necessary, remove them.
Contact a Champaign Premises Liability Attorney
Realtors and landlords have a legal obligation to make sure the property they sell or rent is safe to live in. If you have been a victim of negligently maintained property, contact the Champaign toxic mold attorneys of Spiros Law, P.C. at (217) 328-2828 to discuss your options.