Champaign DWI Injury Attorneys
Thousands of motorists are killed each year as the direct result of drunk and drugged driving. While there are a number of safe alternatives to driving under the influence such as ride-share apps and public transportation, some still choose to get behind the wheel after consuming drugs or alcohol. Unfortunately, most of those who suffer from the poor decisions of reckless drivers are innocent motorists or bystanders.
If you or a loved one have sustained injuries or were killed in a drunk driving accident, you might be owed significant compensation. Don’t take on the insurance company or legal system alone. Contact the Champaign DWI injury attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C. today for a free consultation with an experienced, dedicated personal injury lawyer.
DWI Accident Statistics
According to the Center for Disease Control and the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, over 10,000 people die each year as a direct result of a drunk driving accident in the United States. As of 2016, drunk driving arrests made up 28% of the total amount made related to traffic deaths that year.
Alcohol isn’t the only substance that can cause a collision and serious injuries or fatalities. Both prescription and illegal drugs can make a driver too impaired to operate their vehicle. About 16% of motor vehicle crashes in 2016 resulted from the use of drugs other than alcohol.
The CDC reports that about 13% of nighttime and weekend drivers have some amount of marijuana in their system. Despite their feeling that the drug is safe, marijuana users are 25% more likely to be involved in a crash than sober drivers. The best choice is to designate a sober driver or find a ride, no matter how little alcohol you’ve consumed.
What to Do After Being Involved in a DWI Accident
The moments after a crash can be confusing. There are several vital steps to take if you or a loved one have been injured in a DWI accident in Champaign. Taking them can help you when it comes time to demand the maximum amount of compensation possible from the at-fault party and their insurers. Protect your right to financial damages for injuries sustained in the crash.
If you’ve been involved in a crash where you believe the person responsible is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, consider the following:
- Check yourself for injuries. If you’re injured, remain in your vehicle until help arrives. If not, check on the other occupants of your car before exiting the vehicle.
- Immediately contact emergency services. Having law enforcement and paramedics on the scene will help your claim later on and could save you from further injury.
- Make sure the police file an official crash report, no matter how busy they may seem. This is a vital document for your insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Acquire the identification and insurance information of the other driver involved.
- Acquire the contact information for any eyewitnesses at the scene.
- Contact Spiros Law, P.C. to begin building a strong claim for compensation following the incident.
How We Can Help
Hiring a professional and dedicated attorney after you’ve been injured in a DWI incident at the hands of someone else can serve you in many ways. The DWI attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C. will work only for you, fighting for your rights to receive maximum compensation from both the insurance companies and the person responsible for the crash.
It’s the responsibility of every driver in Champaign to refrain from getting behind the wheel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This reckless action increases the risk of being involved in a deadly accident. When they make that choice, they can be made to pay for their recklessness.
The legal system in the United States works to protect those who’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s negligent behavior. Our dedicated and compassionate attorneys will work tirelessly to ensure your concerns are voiced, and your case is taken seriously by the insurance companies and other parties involved in the case.
When you secure representation from the DWI attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C., you can rest assured that your best interests will be protected. Our team will take on all of the work related to your claim.
We’ll gather evidence, file the claim, and fight for your right to significant compensation from the at-fault driver. Your time will be free so that you can focus on important things like recovery and spending time with your family.
In the days immediately following a crash, the insurance company of the at-fault individual may offer a settlement. They may try to offer you a minimal amount. If you take it, you won’t be able to seek further compensation for the full extent of your damages.
By hiring an attorney, you’ll protect yourself from settling for less than you’re owed. We’ll work to get you compensation for every cost associated with your crash. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Emergency services costs
- Current and future medical bills
- Loss of employment
- Loss of wages
- Damage to property
- Repair or replacement of a vehicle
- Physical or mental pain and suffering
To receive compensation for damages or injuries sustained in a DWI accident, your attorney must prove that the other party was responsible for the incident. This is called liability.
There are several ways to prove liability:
- Duty of Care: Each individual that gets behind the wheel while under the influence violates their duty to protect you as another motorist in Illinois.
- Duty of Care Was Beached: We’ll prove that the driver was intoxicated upon entering their vehicle, and no one worked to prevent them from doing so.
- Causation: Your attorney will prove that their actions while driving inebriated directly caused your crash.
- Injury or Damages: We’ll show that you sustained an injury or your property was damaged as a result of the crash. This is when a police report and information gathered from the scene can come into play.
Don’t try to build a legal claim on your own. Let a seasoned professional do it for you.
Contact the Champaign DWI Accident Attorney Today
If you or someone you love were injured in a crash involving an intoxicated driver, you have the right to seek compensation under the law in Illinois. Contact the dedicated Champaign DWI attorneys with Spiros Law, P.C. at (217) 328-2828 for a free consultation on your case. Begin the process of moving on from this difficult time today.