Fatal Accident in Edgar County Results in 2 Deaths
On Thursday morning around 9 am, a three-vehicle crash in Edgar County, IL on route 133 led to two fatalities. One vehicle traveling East was attempting to pass another vehicle going the same direction but hit a vehicle traveling West leading to the crash of the vehicle that was originally trying to pass. Both the driver and passenger of the vehicle that tried to pass were pronounced dead on the scene.
Crashes like this are not uncommon. Sometimes we may feel we are invincible while driving and make moves that are unsafe, such as passing with oncoming traffic nearby. However, no one is invincible. It is important that we always make the safest decisions while driving, starting with knowing when to pass a vehicle.
When passing a vehicle, it is important to understand what the lines of the road mean and how they could determine your next action.
- Solid line: a solid line indicates a no-passing zone which is usually due to low visibility.
- Dashed line: a dashed line means that you can pass the vehicle ahead of you.
If you are attempting to pass a vehicle when there is a dashed line, follow these steps to create the safest situation possible:
- Check your mirrors and blind spots: Checking only your mirrors is not enough. To be aware of other vehicles nearby, you should check your blind spots.
- Use a hands-free device: Instead of reaching for your cell phone, connect to Bluetooth before you depart.
- Use your signal in advance: Signaling in advance alerts other drivers to your intent
- Only pass when the terrain is flat: This ensures that your visibility will not be compromised.
Although we can do our best to drive safely, sometimes we encounter situations where we are involved in a crash. If you or a loved one has recently been involved in a car crash that resulted in a major injury, or worse, at the fault of someone else, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. First, you need to seek medical attention immediately to tend to your injuries. Next, you may want to seek help to navigate through the legal process. Hiring an attorney who has experience representing clients who are involved in severe car collisions can be beneficial to your case. To set up a free consultation with the knowledgeable attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C., call (217) 328-2828 or visit one of our three offices located in Champaign, Danville, and Kankakee.
Categories: Car Accidents