At Spiros Law, our every day is spent helping people out in their time of need. We care about the communities we live in, and we want to take part in improving them, which is why we have partnered with Adopt-A-Highway. The Illinois Adopt-A-Highway program is affiliated with the Illinois Department of Transportation and works with community organizations who volunteer their time to pick up litter and trash on the side of the highway. There are more than 10,000 Adopt-A-Highway volunteers throughout Illinois, and we are proud to be one of the organizations. Our team has adopted Neil Street in Champaign, from Springfield to Bradley. Neil Street is a very busy street in Champaign, and this can increase the chances of high amounts of litter spread along the side of the road. Our team is responsible for picking up the trash and litter dispersed across this route. Through our efforts, we hope to offer the people of Champaign safer roadways and a cleaner community.
Littering can have serious consequences. Below are some of the most common problems caused by littering:
- Automobile Accidents: When you litter on a highway, it could impair a driver’s vision, cause a driver to swerve, or it could lead to a flat tire. All of which are dangerous hazards.
- Environmental Issues: Obviously, litter is damaging to our environment. Much of the litter found along the side of the road is non-biodegradable meaning it stays there indefinitely. Litter degrades natural areas, impedes plant growth, and pollutes the air.
- Decrease in Home Values: Excess litter lowers curb appeal and can cause a decrease in property and home values.
- Spoils Water Quality: As litter sits on the ground, it seeps into the soil and pollutes the water underneath.
In order to avoid littering while driving, it is recommended that drivers keep a litter bag in their vehicle, to avoid the temptation of discarding the trash out of their car window. Beyond this, if you are wondering how you can contribute to combatting this issue, please consider adding your group of friends, neighbors, or coworkers to the list of Adopt-A-Highway volunteers. According to the IDOT website, almost anyone can take part in the program, such as:
- Civic Groups
- Sororities and fraternities
- Friends and Families
The Spiros Law Team is excited and proud to do our part in making the community of Champaign a better place!
If you want to make a difference in your own community and want to register a group for the program, visit the IDOT website to fill out an Adopt-A-Highway request form.